CDPL web site

check mark Check your account | Advanced search

check mark Check your account | Advanced search
Crawfordsville District Public Library
Library medallion 205 S. Washington Street
Crawfordsville, IN 47933
765-362-2242, 765-362-7986 (fax)
Mon-Thur: 9-9 | Fri-Sat: 9-5 | Sun 1-5

Drs. George and G.F. Huggans

Beal letter page 1

My life in the Indian Territory
50 years ago My husband George F
Huggans was a civil engineer on the
San Francisco Rail Road for some 12 years
He had charge of building two bridges
over the Arkansas river one at Tulsa
and the other over the river at Van Buren
Arkansas. We lived in the Indian Territory 7 years.
We first lived in the Creek Nation
afterwards in the Cherokee and Choctaw Nations
when we lived in the Creek Nation. We
lived in Tulsa, which was a village of
250 people, 50 whites and two hundred
Indians and half breeds – The 50 people included
the engineer chores and missonarys. Dr. Hayworth
wife and son. who was sent out by the Presbyterian
church of Philadelphia, Dr. Booker, Rowe Hall and

Beal letter page 2

his brother Charles Hall, who owned a
Post-Traders store, which was a great
curiosity to the Indians, who came from
all of the surrounding country to see and trade
at the store, when we lived in Tulsa
there was but one small Hotel, run by a
man named Mount, we stayed in
the hotel for a few weeks after we arrived
in Tulsa, an experience never to be forgotten
we had no table cloth nor napkins and
the food was very poor. Afterwards we
were very comfortable in a little cottage
owned by St and Sf Co [St. Louis-San Francisco Railway Company?] near the RR station
we enjoyed life to the fullest extent while
living in Tulsa. We had an abundance
of every thing good to eat in the way of wild
meat, venison, wild turkey and prairie chickens
were so plentiful that it was a common sight
to see them near us any time in the day –
when the Indians received their allotment
of [51 cents?] every three months they would come to
Tulsa to spend it – some times 50 or a hundred
they would pitch their tepees just at the edge

Beal letter page 3

of Tulsa and stay until their money
was all gone then disapear for another
three months [L-Jr?] when they would make their
appearance and you would know that
another three months had passed.
Sometimes they would get bad whiskey
then they would come riding in to Tulsa
whooping a loud as they could. And if it was
dark commence shooting in every window –
where they saw a light. at the first shot every
light went out and the village would be
dark the rest of the night.
That wild life was very fascinating I
so often wish I could be young and live
yet again my time in the Indian

Beal letter page 4

The Arkansas river near Tulsa was the home
of wild geese in winter time I have
seen them so thick over head they
would obscure the sun – men would run
out with their guns and shoot up in
to the flock and very often a great snow
white goose would commence coming down
and there would be a fine goose dinner,